Author: Luisa Perkins
•1:25 PM
(Er, I got better.)*

Today's post request comes from the operatic and Southern-living Painted Maypole. The Maypole is worth her weight in gold for her lovely posts about New Orleans alone, but her blog has much, much more to offer than that. Visit her, and you'll see what I mean.

The Maypole clearly harbors a touch of hostility when it comes to NaBloPoMo, and at this point in the month (thank heaven, halfway through at last), I don't blame her. From the comment she left when I announced the Scavenger Hunt, I gather that she suspects that NaBloPoMo is a Device of Evil. Which of course is why I quoted the witch trial scene from Monty Python's The Holy Grail for this post's title.†

But it's an equation with which I am not likely to agree, as exhausted as I am by a mere fortnight's worth of daily posting. I see NaBloPoMo as a neutral concept, like that of money.

And as the Perkins fam read just this very morning in 1 Timothy, it is not money, but the love of money, that is the root of all evil. In like fashion, NaBloPoMo can be used for either good or ill; it's just a matter of making sure the dog is still wagging the tail, and not the other way round. I hope my posts are adding to the good in the world (though this one is probably pretty useless), and not to the bad; that's certainly my intention.


What's bad so far about having committed to NaBloPoMo? 1) Having to type the silly half-acronym ad nauseam. 2) It has cut into my reading time; leisure reading is what I have had to give up in order to make room for posting every day while also fulfilling the strictures of NaNoWriMo.


What's good? 1) Even more fabulous posts to read from some of my very favorite bloggers. 2) I care far less about comments/feedcrack than I ever have in all my short blogging career. Don't get me wrong. I love comments from my readers; I wish I had more (readers and comments). But posting every day has gotten me to give up obsessively checking my email to see whether anyone has responded lately. And that, my friends, is worth a lot.


* See the second paragraph.
† Do you get it now?
This entry was posted on 1:25 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 comments:

On 15/11/07 , Annette Lyon said...

I'm commenting so you have one, even if you don't need the feedcrack today. :)

Way to go on reaching the halfway mark on your month of insane writing!

 
On 15/11/07 , painted maypole said...

Golly, thanks for all the nice things you said about me.

My bitterness towards NaBloPoMO is, of course, mostly in jest, but it obviously was an idea that didn't work for me. I'm glad you are getting (some) good things from it.

And Monty Python? Love it, love it!

 
On 15/11/07 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I mostly love nablopomo. More of the lovely Luisa? Yes please. However, opening my feed reader every day is a bit daunting now. How many blogs have just been updated?! Oi!

 
On 15/11/07 , Lauren said...

I was just thinking about watching that movie today. Wow! It's like ESP...sorta. I was quoting that with my friend today. Pretty awesome. I did a "Wordless Wednesday" entry today. But todays Thursday, I know. There is no rule on posting a post a day late. Is there? And plus, how does anyone know that Wordless Wednesday was inteded for Wednesdays?

 
On 15/11/07 , Jen said...

Plus, it gives you a chance to blog about things like Monty Python and Spice Girls Wannababes and bumper stickers, lol.

 
On 15/11/07 , Bill C said...

Feedcrack. I missed that one. How? How can I let things like that happen?! More important, your connecting NaBloPoMo and 1st Timothy? I like.

Maybe I'll start calling it NaB.

 
On 15/11/07 , Brillig said...

Thank you, I didn't NEED the footnotes. :-D You really are delightfully well-rounded, do you know that? You quote Monty Python and the Bible in the same post, and for that, my dear, I love you.

 
On 16/11/07 , Anonymous said...

I think someone's been reading my blog. Well, not likely but I too just posted on this issue - only without as much wit and style. in fact, I may have been a bit of a downer.

Oh well.

 
On 16/11/07 , Anonymous said...

My brain doesn't spit out that many words in 30 days.It's painful to think about, but you're doing great!