Author: Luisa Perkins
•4:46 PM
Anjmae of Makaimama, who happens to be my superwoman of a younger sister, asked me to find out where the expression 'the whole nine yards' came from. Annette Lyon was kind enough to open up that vast warehouse of information that is her brain and give us the answer in a comment (which is, as I have confirmed independently, that there IS NO credibly documented answer).

So my job here is basically done.

But here's a funny (at least, to me) Daniel story, just so you don't feel totally ripped off today. We pass over the Croton Reservoir on our way to and from church every Sunday. For a while now, Daniel and I have had a friendly argument as we drive across the bridge. It goes like this:

Daniel: There's the river!

Me: It's the reservoir.

Daniel: No, it's the river!

Me: Actually, it's the reservoir.

So a couple of Sundays ago, Daniel got a little frustrated after our normal exchange. Here's how it went:

Daniel: There's the river!

Me: It's the reservoir.

Daniel: No, it's the river!

Me: Actually, it's the reservoir.

Daniel: Mom, do you see all that blue water down there?

Me: Yes.

Daniel (with more disdain than a three-year-old should be able to muster): It's called 'a river.'
This entry was posted on 4:46 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 comments:

On 12/11/07 , Kate said...

heehee . . . wtg Daniel! :)

 
On 12/11/07 , painted maypole said...

he he he

Daniel and MQ would get along just grand

 
On 12/11/07 , Unknown said...

well you've been put in your place, I suppose. Although I admire your devotion to the truth - when my 3 year calls all bodies of water rivers (and he does) I usually say something like "isn't water beautiful?" and skirt the whole teaching things - cause I'm a wimp.

 
On 12/11/07 , Jen said...

Ha, ha, ha!!! And this is what EVERY conversation with my DS is these days. I know, it's just the age. But strangely enough, all my background in mythology, literature, history and other things I love have disappeared. And we're at the phase of "everyone's entitled to his opinion." LOL, but at least he's good in all other ways, so I guess we'll have to keep him. ;-)

 
On 13/11/07 , Anonymous said...

I find it rather interesting that he is quite clear on the definition of a river, and admonishes you based on the specifics of his definition. Perhaps a writer in the future, or a walking dictionary as my brother has been most of his life. He won't use a word unless it means precisely what he means to say. And he would never say it that hick like.

 
On 13/11/07 , Jenna said...

He's such a doll! And growing up to be just like his parents.... :)

Thanks for nothin' with "The whole nine yards."

 
On 13/11/07 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh the strength of personality these little ones of ours come with these days!

 
On 13/11/07 , Annette Lyon said...

He sounds like I did as a kid!

Sorry to ruin your topic . . . one of these days I'll shut up and not answer something when they're not asking me anyway!

 
On 13/11/07 , Anonymous said...

Love the little fight between you and Daniel. One day he will realize that there is no way that he will ever be right when arguing with a woman LOL

 
On 14/11/07 , Bill C said...

Disdain in a three year old?
*shivers*
:-D

 
On 15/11/07 , Brillig said...

Hahaha. That boy's got some attitude! Good for him... for now. That might get old when he's a teenager. :-D