Author: Luisa Perkins
•8:57 AM
The other day, my kind and very accomplished (yet non-blogging) friend Melissa wrote in a comment (and I cut and paste), "Luisa, is there any topic about which you cannot write? You, like Isaac Asimov, could have a blog in every section of the Dewey Decimal system."

Well, that is high praise indeed, and of course I let it go straight to my head for a bit. However, it is with great relief that today I step down from that lofty and precarious pedestal. You see, today's Scavenger Hunt question, posed by Dedee (who really should chat with the aforementioned Melissa, as they are both talented violinists), concerns the Veggie Tales.

Dedee fired off three Veggie Tale questions in quick succession:

"Which Veggie Tales is the best to date?"
"On a related note, which Silly Song is the best?"
"Have you heard of Veggie Tales?"

She then kindly let me off the hook, allowing me to combine the three if need be.

I can only answer the third question with any authority; I know virtually nothing about the Veggie Tales. My kids are familiar with them, as we have close friends who are ardent fans, but I've never seen an episode or heard a Silly Song.

It's a good thing I don't have more to write for today. Tomorrow's post topic (put forth by three separate commenters) requires much thought and deliberation. Plus, you know, there's that novel I'm writing. Forward, pressing forward....
This entry was posted on 8:57 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

14 comments:

On 8/11/07 , Kate said...

tsk tsk Luisa! You need to learn to watch your Veggies! LOL . . . seriously though, they're very fun! :) My husband, son and I introduced one young man to Veggie Tales and he began his collection long before he was a father . . . just ask Kimberly! ;)

 
On 8/11/07 , Melissa said...

Veggie Tales are beginning to torment me during Seminary. I have never seen nor desired to see a single episode, but it seems that there is an Old Testament collection, and one unnamed student is forever drawing parallels between Genesis and the VT episodes. Why, I can only wonder, couldn't Joseph's dream still have involved corn? Why did it need to be cactus? Why? Why?

 
On 8/11/07 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Kate's right - we're huge fans. King George and the Ducky is our favourite though. =P Come, come, conform!

 
On 8/11/07 , Julie Wright said...

Cna I join your Never-seen-veggie-tales group? My kids are older and I've never seen them and therefore am glad to see you're working on your novel :)

 
On 8/11/07 , Anonymous said...

Hmmm...My attempt to explain Veggies Tales....If there is such a thing as a "gate-way-drug" in the positive, I think Veggie Tales would qualify.
It is the entertaining hook that can pull Saturday morning-cartoon-zoning children to ask questions about the scriptures. -and listen to the answers EVEN instead of watching the toy commercials!

 
On 8/11/07 , Anonymous said...

really- you should take a peak. (Jay even likes them.)
You might not like them but if you've never seen one before, I'm sure they aren't what you are imagining.

 
On 8/11/07 , Jen said...

I'm with you on Veggie Tales. Hope you get a good WC in on the novel today!

 
On 9/11/07 , Anonymous said...

veggie tales? so a chinese eggplant, an organically grown carrot, and a jerusalem artichoke walk into a bar.......

 
On 9/11/07 , Anonymous said...

We are the Pirates, who don't do anything.....Oh, Where is my Hairbrush?...

Classics, pure classics :-)

 
On 9/11/07 , Anonymous said...

Well, Sirdar beat me to it. I am a huge fan of Pirates who don't do anything. It surprises me with you piratey knowledge, you have not heard of this silly song. T used to sing the hairbrush song all the time; he breaks out into song, but really can't sing, and when he would sing that song, his head was shaved clean. It was the irony that got us. Our kids have outgrown the veggie Tales, but we have nephews and nieces that are into them, so they still play in our home on occasion.

 
On 9/11/07 , Brillig said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! I can't BELIEVE THIS?? Oh, how I love, LOVE Veggie Tales. Oh, sure, I bought them for my kids at first. I remember buying a new one for Blake and Maddie while I was preggo with Nathan. I was so tired and just needed SOMETHING to occupy the kids while I slept on the couch in the same room. So I turned on the movie and found that even though I was SO TIRED and ready to DIE, I couldn't stop watching and laughing my head off. Oh, wow. I really hope that we've encouraged you to try them out.

 
On 9/11/07 , anjmae said...

I am not in the least surprised that you aren't familiar with the Veggie Tales, but I can only say this because I am your sister and I feel I know this about you. They really are harmless, but no, they aren't my faves of the kid-friendly video bunch. I prefer Mary Poppins...

 
On 9/11/07 , Catherine said...

Oh, oh, OH! I actually have butterflies in the pit of my stomach. This is madness! I love Veggie Tales, and I have for over a decade. A DECADE!

I'll answer the questions:
1. Definitely the wall of Jerico episode; or maybe King George and the Ducky. Or Madame Blueberry? Or, its so hard to pick!
2. Definitely the Cheeseburger song.

catherine

 
On 14/11/07 , Bill C said...

"OOOOH! ... Everybody's got a water buffalo-oooooooo!"
...
"Stop it! Stop! Stop right this instant!"
...
"We're going to get nasty letters saying, 'Where's my water buffalo?'"
...
"Stop being so Silly!"

Best. Song. Ever.