Author: Luisa Perkins
•7:42 AM
I'm always puzzled when I hear writers say that they write for themselves. It's not that I don't believe them; it's just that it's not my experience.

I do a lot of things for myself, but writing isn't one of them. Sure: when I'm daydreaming about a new story idea, playing around with it in my head is good, self-indulgent fun. But translating the dream into just the right words is WORK. Even when it's really flowing and at its most joyous, it's work to write. So why bother? I'm a busy wife, mother, churchgoer, housekeeper, and gardener. I have a lot of things competing for my time and energy. Why add more work to my list?

Why? Because I write for other people. Really: what's the point of telling a story unless someone is listening? I always have an imagined audience in my head when I'm writing. It's usually made up of close friends who love me and my ideas. But even this virtual congregation isn't enough, because I want reactions, preferably as soon as possible.

In other words, I want feedback. Deep down, I think we all do; I believe that's why we write, knit, paint, bake, and blog. We crave validation from those around us, reassurance that what we've created is worthwhile. Recognizing this truth, I coined the term 'feedcrack.'

Feedcrack may be addictive, but it gets the job done. It has kept writing high on the priority list lately, and I've made huge progress in a very short amount of time. So I'll be tanking up on feedcrack for the foreseeable future. I just hope no one cuts off my supply.

I've found a terrific fountain of feedcrack in a social networking website called cre8Buzz. When Brillig invited me to join, I thought it sounded like a great idea. I joined the site to get more exposure for my writing, and I've been thrilled that that has been the case. I've found a wonderful, warm community of writers who have been very receptive to me and to my writing. I've gotten solid constructive criticism and voluble appreciation on a project that had previously been languishing on my furthest-back burner. I'm not sure how else my work would have so quickly and efficiently reached readers who live in Finland, Sweden, western Canada, Britain, and Minneapolis.

After looking over my shoulder, James dubbed cre8Buzz "Facebook for grownups." and I agree with his assessment in the best possible sense. The happy surprise about cre8Buzz is how many nice, interesting, funny people--both inside and outside the writers' community--I've encountered there. It's not spammy or puerile. Everyone is kind and supportive. It's well organized and easy to navigate. Traffic to this blog has soared lately; it's been great.

Cre8Buzz has been in beta since the beginning of August, but it goes public tomorrow. In the next little while, membership to the site will be by invitation only (let me know if you want one; I'll happily send one your way), but everyone in the ethersphere will now be able to view the Buzz's content. We beta-testers are excited to welcome in the world. Drop by and see what you think!
This entry was posted on 7:42 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

19 comments:

On 6/10/07 , Unknown said...

"Feedcrack" - now that's funny.

I'm enjoying cre8buzz as well. It's a wonderful community.

 
On 6/10/07 , Anonymous said...

Go cre8Buzz - go!

 
On 6/10/07 , Avery Gray said...

I had the pleasure of meeting you through the Buzz and I love it, too!

 
On 6/10/07 , piper said...

YEE HAW!

 
On 6/10/07 , Christine said...

'Facebook for grown-ups'...PERFECT! I had to use that on my cre8Buzz post. Gave you linky love credit, of course!

 
On 6/10/07 , Brillig said...

I love the buzz, but I love you even more. I've just realized that even though I chat with you at the buzz every day, I haven't been to your blog (or anyone's!) in ages! I'm going to have to sit down and catch up!

 
On 6/10/07 , Anonymous said...

The thing that caught my eye, is "Facebook for grownups". I try not to say anything negative about facebook, because so many are on it, but I really have no interest in it, because of all the wacky, nonsensical stuff floating around on it. I might be more interested in cre8buzz but as I am not an aspiring writer, I am not sure it is for me either. I also have the problem, if I am doing something there, will I be reading other's blogs, therefore will I have readers to my blog. So many questions, such a closed mind I have. I will keep checking it out and eventually expand my horizons.

 
On 6/10/07 , Tristi Pinkston said...

I like "feedcrack" too. What a way with words you have!

 
On 6/10/07 , Ritu said...

Cre8buzz has given me the opportunity to meet and interact people beyond my field or interest.

Novembrance, I love your profile and the things you right. Similarly, the members in the photography section blow my mind everytime I see a new member. Its just been an amazing experience and with it going public, the experience is just going to get sweeter bit by bit.

 
On 6/10/07 , Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Ok, not even sure what to say. Glad ya like Novembrance. You are blowin' it up on the buzz. Top 8 overall "buzzrank"! I am going to be very curious to see what that does for your buzzranking! Mad view baby, mad views. It is all good in the hood sista. Thanks and much love!!!

Dawn: we got 300 communities to join, I know the'll be somethin' for ya!!

Ya'll keep on keepin' it real!

 
On 6/10/07 , Anonymous said...

Its great that there is a place for you to write and get feedback. I think feedback is the most positive thing that can happen for any writer because it gives the writer an idea if they are on the right track. I admire people who can write. I used to write little stories and my friends used to say I should write a book or something. Little did they know that it was really just me verbalizing. But at least I fooled someone :-)

My dad used to write stories and even had most published in a newspaper and had a couple of stories published in a book. Its too bad that he stopped writing.

 
On 6/10/07 , painted maypole said...

oooh... my cousin is a writer and may love this... i'm going to e-mail him about it!

 
On 7/10/07 , NH Knitting Mama said...

Sounds like fun! If I was't already buried in Blogland and Ravelry, I would consider it... but I'm already on this darn computer too much! ha ha...

 
On 7/10/07 , Rebecca said...

Yep - I agree on the writing for others stuff - writing (the process) is such a solitary excercise...and I think the fact that people are eventually going to read your work is what makes it bearable.

 
On 7/10/07 , Melessa Gregg said...

I am interested in an invite, though even while sitting here typing this to request one the little voices in my head are saying "you're not good enough, you're not good enough."

 
On 8/10/07 , Annette Lyon said...

I'm lovin the buzz--and it's thanks to you for giving me an invite in the first place. You're so dang awesome on so many levels, woman!

 
On 9/10/07 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I'm "Western Canada"! Woot woot!

I write for other people as well. I don't like myself enough to do it just for me. =P

 
On 10/10/07 , Anonymous said...

Yes, feedback does make it worthwhile posting. I'm glad cre8Buzz has been such a positive experiance for so many people; I'm loving it.
Regards,
Ian

 
On 11/10/07 , Anonymous said...

hi there:
thanks for dropping by today. this buzz thing is totally new to me this week, but i think i like it so far.

i love how you wrote very candidly here in your post.

and you "cracked" me up with your term "feedcrack." everytime i write a post that i am especially thrilled with myself about, i can't wait til i receive my first comment, your feedcrack. you nailed it on the head.

great post, you made me think. check out what i posted on tonight. you won't even be surprised :) i bet.

enjoyed this, kathleen :)

ps. i am glad josi told me about jenna because then i found your blog through jenna. all these links lead to other writings that you would never have come across had you not known the first link. pretty cool.