Author: Luisa Perkins
•6:43 PM
From left to right: My Grandma Ybright, Auntie Mamie, Auntie Emma, and Auntie Esther.

The women in my family live a long time. Tomorrow would have been Grandma's 98th birthday; she passed on a little over eight years ago. Grandma made her own saddles, built her own greenhouse and a deck on the back of her house, sewed exquisite wedding gowns and ballet costumes, made and decorated wedding cakes that would serve 250 people from scratch at the drop of a hat, and canned everything in sight.

Auntie Mamie died the day after her 96th birthday. She was serving lunch to the 'old people' at the Senior Center even then. She had the best laugh ever.

Auntie Emma died just shy of her 100th birthday; she made the most delectable candied pecans, and she chopped firewood for her cookstove until she was at least 98.

Auntie Esther died two years ago at the age of 98, healthy as a horse and a rabid Oakland A's fan to the very end. I think she just missed her sisters. She could still kick like a Rockette and do the splits the last time I saw her.

Happy Birthday, Grandma. I sure do miss you and my great Great-Aunties.
This entry was posted on 6:43 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 comments:

On 21/11/07 , painted maypole said...

well no wonder you are so fabulous. it's in your genes!

 
On 21/11/07 , Annette Lyon said...

Sweet tribute to some wonderful ladies.

 
On 21/11/07 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

So happy to hear that, if genetics hold true, we'll have you around for a long, long time. You'll still be blogging when you're 98 right?

 
On 22/11/07 , Anonymous said...

Now we know where you get it from!

 
On 22/11/07 , Dedee said...

I second Kim's remark!!!

 
On 22/11/07 , Goofball said...

wow, what a legacy. you sure have some examples to live up to :p.

 
On 22/11/07 , Joyful Days said...

What a wonderful picture & tribute. That was lovely.

 
On 22/11/07 , Jenna said...

All that matters is that you outlive me....cause I couldn't stand a day in the world without you! What a lovely tribute.

 
On 22/11/07 , Anonymous said...

A nice tribute to your grandma and aunts. They were very strong women and have passed their legacies on.

 
On 23/11/07 , Jen said...

Amazing women! And Auntie Mamie is a dead ringer for my grandma - who died when she was 97.

 
On 25/11/07 , Anonymous said...

Awesome post!!

Longevity lives in our family too. Actually, my side of the family. My grandma died at 101. Many of my aunts lived to the late 80's. The one aunt that I am executor of her will is 89 and still lives alone in her own house they bought in the 50's.

Nice tribute to the women in your family.