Author: Luisa Perkins
•12:33 PM


Some regular readers have emailed me asking for an update on some of our household routines. What, for example, happened with CIA Night last month? I'll give you the scoop on all the latest scintillating news.
First of all, I finished Daniel's sweater. He's a very gratifying recipient; he wants to wear it every day and gets mad when he can't wear it to bed. Yes, it turned out big, as I expected. But I'm glad (since he's the baby) that he'll be able to wear it again this fall. Everytime I put it on him, he exclaims, "I'm so cute!" Indeed.
As you can see from the photo above, at Needlework Group yesterday I started cutting fabric for two quilts. Tess and Daniel's flannel receiving blankets were taking up space in the linen closet, but I couldn't bear the thought of giving them away for some reason (I gave away almost all of their infant-sized clothing long ago). Their birthdays are coming up, so I decided to make them each a quilt. I've never made a quilt before (though I've tied several). My angel friend Karen lent me her cutter and mat and gave me a basic outline of what to do. I got the last blanket cut just before the big kids walked in the door. I'll see how long I can keep this project a secret.
The kids and their cookery: Christian made Chicken Enchiladas--yes, the recipe that elicited a proposal from Patrick. James made Roasted Butterflied Chicken with Potatoes and Broccoli. Hope and Tess each made a batch of Spaghetti Bolognese. Yummmmm.
And just for kicks, here's what I made for lunch today. I was able to work with what I had on hand; I felt lucky that I could put off a trip to the grocery store for a few more hours.
Lucky Egg Drop Soup
2 TB. butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pint homemade chicken stock
1 pint water
1/4 lb. wide egg noodles
2 eggs, beaten
In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Saute the onion until soft. Add the carrots and saute a few more minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and parsley; stir and cook for just a few seconds. Add the salt, stock, water, and noodles. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Check the noodles; they may need another minute or two. Once the noodles are cooked and the soup is boiling, pour the eggs in and stir like mad for a few seconds. Amply serves two, with enough left over for a hungry 13-year-old's mid-afternoon snack.
There: I believe I've answered all outstanding questions! Enjoy the gentle breath of spring!


This entry was posted on 12:33 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On 13/3/07 , Jenna said...

The quilts are a great idea to use up those old blankets. I'm the same way...have a hard time parting with baby memories! And Daniel's sweater is perfection! Great job! I cannot get over how grown up he looks! So cute!