Author: Luisa Perkins
•6:32 AM
Kara tagged me for a fun meme I've seen floating around lately. Thanks, friend! I can't think of a better way to perk up a Monday morning than with a bit of mindless memery.

Remove the blog from the top, move all the blogs up one, add yourself to the bottom.

Smiling Mom
42
Twas Brillig
Ennui in the Grocery

What were you doing ten years ago?

Ten years ago, Christian was three-and-a-half and James was nine months old. I was pushing my trusty MacLaren stroller around the Upper West Side, shuttling between playgrounds, the Dinosaur Museum, and Sal and Carmine's pizza place. Christian would hold onto the handle of the stroller, trot along beside me at quite a pace, and chatter about prehistoric life and heavy construction vehicles.

What were you doing one year ago?

This time last year, Christian was 12.5, James was 9.5, Hope was 7, Tess was 5, and Daniel was 2 (sorry; I know that's a bit tedious, but it helps orient me). I was finishing my submission for the Readercon Writers' Workshop: the first chapter and synopsis of ZF-360, this novel I'm almost finished writing.

I had just retired as a Sales Director with Mary Kay and was tying up all the loose ends that accompanied that decision. I was thoroughly enjoying spending tons more time with Patrick, since he'd started his own practice here at home the August before. I was neglecting our yard. I was gearing up for our big renovation. It was a hectic time; the present seems much more serene in comparison.

Five Snacks You Enjoy:
1) Toast with butter and raw honey
2) Ronnybrook drinkable yogurt
3) Red Vines (They must be stale.)
4) Fresh peaches. Or fresh cherries. Or fresh pineapple.
5) LU Little Schoolboy cookies with cold, raw milk

I'll forestall protests by telling you that to label chocolate a snack demeans it. It is an essential food that should be consumed daily for optimum health.

Five songs you know all the lyrics to:

Well, since I'm the local Rainman of song lyrics, I'll list five albums.
1) Genesis: A Trick of the Tail
2) Bach: Cantata No. 140 "Wachet Auf!"
3) Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
4) Oklahoma! Original Broadway Cast Recording
5) Harry Connick, Jr.: We Are in Love

Things you would do if you were a millionaire:

1) Pay tithing.
2) Give a chunk to Heifer.
3) Buy Merritt Bookstore.
4) Take the family to Florence.
5) Save anything left for college.

Five Bad Habits:

1) Pride
2) Sloth
3) Wrath
4) Extravagance
5) Not ironing

Five things you like to do:

1) It involves Patrick.
2) Play with the kids.
3) Read.
4) Nap.
5) Not iron.

Five things you will never wear again:

Rose Taffeta:


Cat Sunglasses and Five-Inch Heels:


Maternity Outfit and Bad Parisian Perm:


Plaid School-Uniform-Type Dress (Happily, I wear a Missionary Tag again):


Babysling:

Five Favorite Toys:
1) iPod
2) MacBook

Where will I be in ten years?

Right here in this house I love surrounded by my amazing family. All the fruit trees we're planting this week will be mature and bearing, and the yard will look terrific. I'll have published several books.

Christian will be finishing college, James will be on a mission, Hope will be finishing high school, Tess will be begging to take her driver's license test, and Daniel will be a bran-new teenager. Yikes. I need some chocolate and a cup of valerian tea now.

Five people to tag:

3) Amanda
4) Millie

And there you have it! Must fly; I have tons of writing to do before we go see the Mets play the Twins tonight. Let's go, Mets!
This entry was posted on 6:32 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

On 18/6/07 , Brillig said...

Wow! Pictures too? What a treat! This was so great. SO much fun to read! (And I love that your label for this is "dancing with myself." Hahaha)

 
On 18/6/07 , Bill C said...

Good call on the status of chocolate. And I'm more than a little scared by someone able to remember lyrics on an album scale. Rainman indeed.

(Also pretty cool. I feel jealous; do I look jealous?)

(I'll be okay. Honest.)

 
On 18/6/07 , Annette Lyon said...

Thanks for SEVERAL laughs! I'm right with you on a number of those. Wish I had time to add photos to my list, but I will play along. :) Thanks for the tag!

 
On 18/6/07 , Anonymous said...

Oh fun! I love your albums--you so eclectic! I love your photos! No rose taffeta? Not even a little?

Yes, this time last year, we were gearing up for Readercon to see the decidedly dishy China Mieville. Why won't he return my calls?

 
On 21/6/07 , Luisa Perkins said...

Kara, I told China I wouldn't bake him any more scones if he started liking you more than me. The man prizes his baked goods; sorry.