Author: Luisa Perkins
•6:13 AM
Normally I might let today go by without posting, as I am busy, busy, busy on my book, book, book. But I have a few things of interest to at least two of my readers that I should set down.


A) Today makes 19 years since Patrick and I first kissed. (Getting misty-eyed at the memory.)


Ahem.


B) Now, onto the kids' essay assignment today in Homeschool of Rock:


1) Watch Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at the Austin City Limits DVD.


2) Analyze Mr. Vaughan's two performances using the following five criteria: a) skill; b) technique; c) style; d) stage presence; and e) interaction with other band members. Give your view on his evolution as a performer from the 1983 performance to the 1989 performance. Take into account changes in his personal life in the intervening years; research online as necessary.


3) Christian: 5 strong body paragraphs, plus opening and closing. James: 3 strong body paragraphs, plus opening and closing. Hope: 1 solid paragraph, including topic sentence, three supporting sentences, and one concluding/transition sentence. Tess and Daniel: draw a picture of Stevie Ray and his Stratocaster.

I tell you, homeschooling is a lot of work. But worth it! We're having fun.


C) Just for kicks, here's what I do when we have vegetarian friends over for dinner in the summertime. I marinate and grill portobello mushrooms.


Grilled Mushrooms
6 large portobello mushrooms, stems cut off*
1/2 cup olive oil
The juice of 1/2 lemon, strained
1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground pepper


Wash and dry the mushrooms, then place them in a 9x13" pan, gill side up. Whisk the remaining ingredients together and pour into the gills of the mushrooms. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour and a maximum of 24 hours, turning the mushrooms over halfway through.


Grill for about five minutes per side on low, until just heated through. Serve alone or on a toasted hamburger bun. Makes enough for one vegetarian friend and three others who know a good thing when they see it.


*Don't throw those stems away! Reserve them for another use. I put them in Cowboy Stew the other night, and boy, did that gussy up an already good thang.

D) A Few Recent Discoveries (humming "Make New Friends and Keep the Old"):

Brillig I can't get enough of her Flashbacks and Soap Operas. You'll love her.

Bitegeist A foodie of the first order. Check out all the categories on her menu. As addictive as potato chips.

My cousin Travis I popped his name into Ye Olde Google on a whim since I haven't seen him in ages and was rewarded with his gorgeous website. Talent! We do have some talent in this family.

Go visit them; you won't be sorry! I'll have more to come in this category soon.
This entry was posted on 6:13 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

11 comments:

On 27/6/07 , Josi said...

Love, love, love Portabellos! I usually scrape the gills out but maybe I'll keep em in for this one. Thanks for the recipe--now get back to your book! :-)

 
On 27/6/07 , Jenna said...

I LOVE that you remember the first time you kissed Patrick. I celebrate that holiday too. Congratulations. I'm a sap for stuff like that. I'm intrigued by the essay assignment. Would it be too much to ask to get copies of Christian and James'?????

 
On 27/6/07 , Anonymous said...

So great, those portabellos... Now I have the recipe and won't have to hound you for it.

Stop playing on the computer and get back to work on yo' book, book, book!

 
On 27/6/07 , Anonymous said...

I am delighted that Jenna also celebrates the first day you and I kissed. Perhaps this can become a national holiday in the blogosphere. So glad you married me in spite of that first kiss...

 
On 27/6/07 , Jenna said...

Well, P, you smartty pants, you. THis is what happens when you try to type with a baby on your lap helping. I celebrate MY first kisses, not yours! But, heck, I like you both so much, and if this is one more reason to have cake, then you're both going on the calendar tonight!

 
On 27/6/07 , Jenna said...

See? Still holding said baby, and now I have an extra 't' in "smarty". I'm getting out of here quickly!

 
On 27/6/07 , Brillig said...

Awww, happy kiss-aversary! I love that you remember that!

"when we have vegetarians over for dinner" made me laugh. How thoughtful of you! Everywhere I go, as the token vegetarian at any given meal, I eat whatever's served, minus the meat. I don't think anyone's ever prepared a special meal for me! You thoughtful thing, you, for all the veggies around you.

And last but not least, thanks for the sweet linky-love! You're WAY too kind!!!!

Now get to work on that book!!! :-)

 
On 27/6/07 , Anonymous said...

thanks for the nod to bitegeist, luisa. and i am so making that potato salad.

 
On 27/6/07 , Luisa Perkins said...

Good grief, you people are bossy! :)

I had an excellent writing day, FYI. Thanks for your encouragement.

 
On 28/6/07 , Anonymous said...

Oh yum, portabellos are so rich and meaty!

We just watched School of Rock so I am digging your assignments.

 
On 28/6/07 , Anonymous said...

That looks like a great recipe. I do a similar thing with all those zucchini's that pop up in the summer. For our home school Sirdar watched the movie "School of Rock". Luckily we do other things too.