Author: Luisa Perkins
•8:57 PM
As the leaves start to turn, my thoughts turn to...pie.

I love pie. Once upon a time, I worked at Marie Callender's. This was fabulous, because at the end of the night, the staff could take any leftover pies home. I enjoyed nearly all the pies they made there, from the ever-popular Sour Cream Lemon to the obscure Gooseberry.

As good as Marie's pies were, I've always preferred homemade. In summer, I love Banana Cream Pie. My mom used to make it all the time: her flaky crust, luscious vanilla cream custard, topped with fresh bananas and whipped cream was a winner. Recently I made a Chocolate Cream Pie from a recipe I got from the ever-reliable Cook's Illustrated. It was perfection: a tender yet crispy chocolate cookie crust filled with the most heavenly chocolate cream custard made from scratch, with whipped cream on top, of course. One grateful recipient of a slice said that the filling was as smooth as glass, and it was. Pure heaven.

As good as the cream pies are, it's the baked fruit pies that really work for me. I have a few specialties I whip up as Thanksgiving approaches. High-domed, deep-dish Apple Pie filled with tender slices of heirloom fruit. The rich yet mellow flavors of Pumpkin Pie made with pumpkin I've grown in my own garden. Mincemeat Pie: succulent, homemade filling finished with a woven lattice crust. Then there is my mother-in-law's outstanding Pecan Pie. Mmmm, pie...I have to watch myself, or I'll drift off into a Homer Simpsonesque reverie.

So imagine my delight the other day to discover that a friend of ours has just launched a website entirely dedicated to pie and its devotees. You've got to see it; Penelope's Pies is adorable and chock-full of good information.
This entry was posted on 8:57 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On 6/10/07 , Anonymous said...

Can she make a cherry pie,
Billy Boy, Billy Boy?
Can she make a cherry pie,
Charming Billy?
She can make a cherry pie,
Quick as a cat can wink an eye,
She's a young thing
And cannot leave her mother.

 
On 6/10/07 , Anonymous said...

I will be going to check that out later. I have to go, so will comment on the post above later also. I love pies. This weekend, I will be indulging in home made pumpkin pie with just a touch of rum added for a little kick of flavour. My sister makes those for the family meal. I love cream pies too, but not too partial to banana. I have made a homemade coconut cream pie from scratch with a wholewheat crust that tastes so nutty and is a perfect combination with the cream filling. I love pie but don't make it nearly enough. Well, I probably do, considering how much of it I would eat.

 
On 6/10/07 , Anonymous said...

Oooo, I love that web site. Very fun!
We just went to the pumpkin patch early this morning for pumpkins and I can't wait to make pumpkin puree to freeze for pumpkin pies for the holidays!

 
On 6/10/07 , Anonymous said...

I like pies but I don't crave them. There are very few I don't like...except the ones with coconut in or on them. Other than that, I'm pretty easy. The ones your describe sound very tasty. As Dawn said, we will be eating Pumpkin pies this weekend because it is Thanksgiving weekend for us.

 
On 6/10/07 , painted maypole said...

I love pecan pie! And fruit pies, too.

 
On 8/10/07 , Annette Lyon said...

That could be a very scary place for me to check out . . . my thighs will not thank you for this, but now I HAVE to go look.

 
On 9/10/07 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What a cute site! Can't wait to explore it. I've slid my bookmark in. Thanks for the linky!