Author: Luisa Perkins
•8:44 AM
Yesterday I went to check on the summer squash, shown here with a 12-inch ruler and a fat, yellow cucumber. How did I miss this monster? It looks remarkably like the Doomsday Machine in a Star Trek episode--the device Daniel calls 'the robot pyoom-pyoom.' It will be morphing into many dozen squash muffins in the near future.
Here's Daniel with his water pyoom-pyoom. 'Pyoom-pyoom' is his word for anything--from muskets to phasers--that fires high-velocity projectiles.

James, Hope, and Tess console themselves in Christian's absence (he's at Scout Camp this week) with some focused and sustained sprinkler running. Good times.
I wish I could insert a fragrance link. Aren't my Stargazer Lilies beautiful? Note how the close focus keeps all the weeds out of the image. Also note how I took and posted zero photos of Christian and me planting 12 trees and 18 bushes last Saturday. There's nothing like digging through rocky clay in 90-degree weather with 90% humidity to give you heat exhaustion, I tell you. The process hasn't been pretty, but my permaculture garden is on its way.
This entry was posted on 8:44 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On 31/7/07 , Brillig said...

Your Stargazer Lilies ARE gorgeous! And your yard with its sprinklers and flowers and squash looks like the perfect summer haven for your family!

 
On 31/7/07 , PEZmama said...

The lilies are too pretty for anyone to notice the weeds. Just lovely!

And, I just need to ask you about your "Blogtastic" list. Is it me, or am I viewing a list that is ordered by length of title? Did you really do this, Luisa? Did you really?

 
On 31/7/07 , Annette Lyon said...

Your yard looks like a dream! We're still in the phase of trying to kill weeds before they overtake everything while we save up enough to plant something that's actually pleasant to look at.

 
On 31/7/07 , Anonymous said...

That's some squash.

I keep trying to come up with new uses for summer squash, but nothing beats the mother-of-invention muffins.

 
On 31/7/07 , Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful lilies. I think I have some coming yet. I have some other lilies blooming right now. I love perennials. I have been buying some every year and getting some from friends and my perennial gardens are starting to take shape. That is a big zucchini. I have fortunately grabbed mine at a smaller size so have had them grilled with balsamic vinegar and I like to make warm Greek vegetables. I have a tough time making baked goods with them, but I have in desperate times. It looks like your kids are having a great time.

 
On 1/8/07 , Luisa Perkins said...

Brillig, you're such a dear.

Pez, I really did. I really, really did.

Annette, it does not look like a dream overall, unless by 'dream' you mean 'nightmare.' It's a bit overwhelming. I need the gardeners from Misselthwaite Manor and Amberwell to come and rescue me.

AV, so glad you are liking the muffins. I'm going to go make some right now.

Dawn, great suggestion on the grilling. I shouldn't blog when I'm hungry!

 
On 1/8/07 , Anonymous said...

Technically, phasers to fire projectiles - fyi...