Author: Luisa Perkins
•10:02 AM
(For last post's quiz, anyway.)

Oh, you all did so well, despite some very tricky questions! I have such entertaining pals; thank you for playing.

Here are the correct answers:

1) 'B' is correct. "Me Likey" is a collection of all my favorite running songs culled from several earlier mixes. I use it on the days when I'm trying for a personal best. As much as I adore our neighbor, Mr. Richard Butler, the Furs did not make this particular cut.
I love Bon Jovi! Especially now that he has short hair; he's aged very well. (Kara, you have my permission to stop respecting me.) And "You Give Love a Bad Name" has exactly the right amount of anger (and heavy drums) to make it a good running song for me.

2) My second cat was named Tantôt (pronounced 'Tonto'). When I was living in Montreal, I heard this word used in casual conversation constantly. It's flexible in meaning: 'pretty soon,' 'a little while ago,' 'when I get around to it,' and 'now' are all valid translations. Our current cat is named after Goldberry of The Lord of the Rings fame (she's only in the book). But she's my third cat.

3) Latrell Sprewell es mucho más macho. This question is paraphrased from a Saturday Night Live skit involving Lloyd Bridges, and therefore shows my age.

What's wrong with you people? Don't you believe in forgiveness and repentance? Poor Latrell made one (admittedly large) mistake, apologized, and sought counseling for anger management. He's made reparations. Give him a break! It's been years since that happened!

I am not an ardent basketball fan, but when Latrell was playing for the Knicks, I missed very few games. He plays with balletic grace and a compelling natural charisma; when he's out there, you don't really notice anyone else on the court. I like George Clooney, don't get me wrong. But Latrell....

Bubandpie, j'adore le Canada et ses citoyens. Et vouz pouvez me tutoyer, si vous voulez.

4) I have enjoyed all three of these junk foods in the past, so 'd' is the correct answer. Taco Bell doesn't taste good to me anymore, and I eat Lucky Charms (not as breakfast, as Annette correctly guessed) maybe once every two years. But Magic Shell--it's the Latrell Sprewell of dessert items.

5) This was a tricky question, as all four of these selections were in heavy rotation at my house of origin circa 1978. I got Saturday Night Fever first, but as a gift. My sister Stephanie owned ABBA:Arrival on cassette. Billy Joel's brilliant album The Stranger was the second I ever bought, making b) Grease the correct choice.

6) Hands down, no contest: If I could somehow clone myself, I would pursue a Ph.D. in Geology, preferably at Yale. It's clear that I haven't made my love of this branch of the earth sciences sufficiently manifest to you all. I'll have to rectify this.

But if there were a degree offered in Kara's answer, that would tempt me mightily.

7) It's comforting to me that so many of you agree that all of these critically acclaimed writers are highly overrated. But c) Hemingway is the correct answer, because he's the most revered of the four. I also hate most Steinbeck (except for The Winter of our Discontent), most Updike (except for The Witches of Eastwick), and most Fitzgerald (maybe all, since I can't come up with any exceptions right now).

8) b) Pilgrim's Progress, by Ralph Vaughan Williams. Pilgrim's Progress is my favorite book, and RVW is my favorite composer. The combination is magic. Unfortunately, this opera has significant staging problems, and consequently is very rarely performed.

I've seen a spine-chilling production of The Turn of the Screw; it is one of my favorites, so that was a good guess.

9) This was really a question about whether you recognized a quote from that most quotable of films, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. All answers alluding to said film were scored as correct, with a bonus point given to Jenna and to Annette for giving the correct speed.

The air-speed velocity of an unladed European swallow is 11 meters per second, or 24 miles per hour.

Annette, the four capitals of Assyria were Ashur, Nimrud, Khorsabad, and Nineveh.

And asking Tim was a very good (though potentially explosive) suggestion, RaJ.

10) Bubandpie was prescient when it came to this question.

Weboggle is horrendously addictive, but is a mind-sharpener, so may be rationalized.

"One Week" is a terrific song for exercising; memorizing all the words to it distracted me from the pain of many a mile (and I would never dis Canada or The Barenaked Ladies).

Getting a massage is never wrong.

I'm not a Law and Order fan; therefore, the correct answer is 'd.'

Bonus Question. Annette is partially right; I did choose the photo of Ralph Fiennes because I was giving a quiz. However, 'b' is also correct: I have direct ancestors with the surnames 'Van Doren' and 'Fiennes.'
Scoring:
Bubandpie: 5 correct
Annette: 5 correct
Kara: 6 correct
Brillig: 3 correct
Jam: 5 correct (I counted your initial instinct on the Bonus Question)
Jenna: 5 correct

So it's Kara by a nose as far as number of correct answers, with a four-way tie for second place. Congratulations, Dr. Ennui! I'll drop your prize by later this week.

Brillig is the contestant who has known me the shortest amount of time, so it's understandable that she would get the fewest correct. However, since she wrote her answers in the form of a somewhat slipstreamy narrative, she gets the 'Most Creative' award. Brillig, email me your address, and you'll receive your fabulous prize shortly. Call it a late birthday present if you like, but you earned it!
This entry was posted on 10:02 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 comments:

On 10/7/07 , Brillig said...

OOOHHH!! OOOHHH!!! I won, I won! After, of course, coming in a miserable last place... hahaha. Hey, if I can't win with smarts (I NEVER win with smarts...) then at least I can be OBNOXIOUS and see how far that gets me.

 
On 10/7/07 , Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo!!! (Dance around room and pump fists in the air) I'm number one! I'm number one!

Oh.

Congratulations to all the other contestants for their fine answers.

 
On 10/7/07 , Bea said...

I'm so glad it was Pilgrim's Progress. This game was fun!

 
On 10/7/07 , Bill C said...

Man, I was going for low score.

Clearly I need to sharpen my mad test-failing skillz.

Translation: congrats to the winners and thanks to Luisa for the fun busy work.
:)

ARRGH! What's that NOISE?! Another computer fan is dying? How is that even possible?

 
On 11/7/07 , Annette Lyon said...

Fun quiz! Thanks for letting us play! Now tell us all about Readercon!

 
On 11/7/07 , Anonymous said...

Well, glad to see the answers up. I must say, I would have done better than I thought. I got 3, 4 and 10 correct, and I was positive about the bonus question after reading your 100 list. Congratulations to the winners.

 
On 12/7/07 , Anonymous said...

Like the answers. Ties the questions up pretty well. I would have tried but since I'm very new here...I couldn't do much.

Congrats to the winners.

 
On 13/7/07 , Anonymous said...

Just so you know...Bon Jovi is playing here tonight with Tupelo Honey...a local band. Of course it is sold out...and I'm not there :-(

 
On 13/7/07 , Steffi said...

I like "Bon Jovi" too.It´s one of my favourites and I was to a concert from Bon Jovi!

 
On 14/7/07 , Luisa Perkins said...

Tupelo Honey?!? They rock!