Author: Luisa Perkins
•6:50 PM
I've been cranky all day for no good reason. This morning the fence repairman called to say he was going to be a half hour late for our appointment, then queried whether that was okay. Instead of giving my typical passive-aggressive overly polite response, I answered, "No, it's not okay. But what can I do about it?"

He mumbled something about 'hearing me' and clicked off quickly. I managed to be civil when he actually arrived, much to Patrick's relief.

Daniel brought me a moment of cheer a little while later. Here is a transcript of our exchange:

Me (after sniffing): "Are you poopy?"

Daniel (total poker face): "No, I fink not."

--Seconds later, during hygienic maintenance session--

Daniel: "Dolphin, dolphin, doll-FINN!!" (Pauses.) "Mama, are you finking what I'm finking?"

Me: "Daniel, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Both, simultaneously: "Penguins!"

Absurd, I know. But it made me feel better, at least for a little while.
This entry was posted on 6:50 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On 3/5/07 , Bill C said...

* Cranky to an arguably deserving "service" person (subsequent civility cancels any incurred societal debt)
* Shared penguin moment
* Blog post

Are you familiar with the hockey term "hat trick?" I ask because I'd say you scored one today.

 
On 3/5/07 , Catherine said...

What an AWESOME story. :)

 
On 4/5/07 , Anonymous said...

"No, but what can I do about it" -- ha ha, I love it! Sometimes you just have to let it out. Loved the penguin story.