Author: Luisa Perkins
•6:35 AM
Something bad happens to my brain when I don't get enough sleep. Oh, yes, there's the crankiness, but my baseline a.m. grump level is sufficiently high so as to render any temporary spike imperceptible.

No, the bad thing to which I refer is the complete lack of mental cohesion I experience. This is why I didn't write at all for the twelve years I was either pregnant or nursing. I can't string two thoughts together for the life of me when I'm this tired. Today, don't call me Ishmael; instead call me 'Randomina.' Or 'Randomella.' 'Randi,' for short--but make sure to dot that 'i' with a little heart, or I'll subtract points for misspelling.

Someone who has been a close friend of mine for 19 years, yet shall remain nameless so that I can pay finger service to preserving his illusion of privacy, sends me links to unusual websites once in a while. It used to be that when he did this, I would think, "Where does he find this stuff? And, more importantly, why?"

I don't wonder anymore, because now I know the answers to both questions. It's the wonder of that random place we call The Internet. Can you fathom the magic, the wizardry, the genius of something that rewards you for typing the words 'watermelon sculpture' into a little box with something like this?

No, it cannot be understood; it can only be shared. My friend didn't send me this latest link, by the way; I found it in a comment over at RaJ's place.

I'm going to brunch this morning at groovy gal Kara's house. Kara is great at co-piloting flights of random thoughts when it's just the two of us, but today there will also be in attendance a bunch of really smart moms whom I have not met before. I'm very concerned I won't make a good first impression. And apparently they are all dieting, which means I can't win them over by bringing Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins, or something similarly brunchy and delicious.

Do you think that if I quickly Bedazzle a T-shirt with the message "Please Like Me" and wear it, they'll obey without noticing? Of course, I'd have to get my hands on a Bedazzler first...perhaps I need another plan.

Speaking of Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins--Ann Hodgman, the funniest food writer ever, once dedicated a cookbook to Keanu Reeves. I'm reasonably sure that a) she doesn't know Keanu personally; and b) Keanu has some sort of eating disorder that would drastically limit his appreciation of Ann's culinary brilliance. Whether or not my suspicions are true, her quixotic gesture endears Ann to me all the more.

And now, I offer you a recipe. Not for the muffins; that belongs to Ann. But following in Ann's footsteps, I dedicate this recipe to someone whom I admire from afar. Ed Robertson, this one's for you.

Birchmount Potato Salad
8 medium potatoes (not the waxy kind, for the love of Mike)
3/4 pound Jarlsberg cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 pound pre-cooked sausage (I used this.)
5 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
1 big handful fresh parsley, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
8 cornichons, chopped (optional, but good)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves, pressed
salt & pepper

Peel and cut up the potatoes; put them in cold salted water and boil them until they are cooked through. Drain and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes. Add the cheese, sausage, celery, parsley, onions, and pickles. Mix up the remaining ingredients in a measuring cup, then pour over the potato mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour. (Or eat it warm, if you don't live with Another Person who has Definite Ideas about the Correct Temperature of Potato Salad.)

If the salad seems dry when you take it out to serve it, mix up another 1/2 cup each of mayo and sour cream, pour in, and mix. Taste the salad and add salt and pepper at your discretion. Serve on plates lined with lettuce or curly endive, if you want to get fancy. Serves seven, with ample leftovers.
This entry was posted on 6:35 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 comments:

On 24/5/07 , Bill C said...

I broke down and connected via proxy server so I could see the watermelon sculptures.

Now I have a headache.

Also I wonder if he uses a spork for any of his... right. Never mind.

 
On 24/5/07 , Anonymous said...

Cold! Cold! It must be cold!!!

 
On 24/5/07 , Anonymous said...

I was so happy to see your title. But now I have "One Week" stuck in my head.

I love Ed. (sigh)

 
On 24/5/07 , Anonymous said...

Luisa, how can you make anything but a good first impression? But the Bedazzler idea--genius! What is more subliminal than sequins? Just to quell any concerns, everyone loved Luisa. They better or they would be instantly banished from my home.

 
On 25/5/07 , Anonymous said...

What's not to like?

Kara et aliae: I've been checking for another serving over at Tea&M. More, please?

 
On 25/5/07 , Luisa Perkins said...

RaJ--still pondering the 'proxy server' concept.

P--Yes, dear; I think everybody got that. ;)

Millie--But it's a good song to have stuck in the head; I can think of far worse. Hymn no. 274, for example.

Kara--I wish you'd been around in fourth grade.

i.d.--Bless you. And I know that Christie and I at least have posts in draft form for T&M; I'll try to get mine up over the long weekend. Christie is moving this week, so we'll see.

 
On 25/5/07 , Terri B. said...

Hello Luisa,
Thanks for visiting. I noticed that you've listed I Capture the Castle in your list of fave books. I loved that book too. Probably the same reason I like D.E. Stevenson and Mary Stewart!

 
On 29/5/07 , Luisa Perkins said...

Terri, we should have a book chat sometime!