Author: Luisa Perkins
•3:50 PM
Pardon the fuzzy image; I'm so excited I can barely stand it. My lilacs are budding for the first time ever! I'll refrain from getting all Whitmanesque or Eliotish on you, but you have to understand.

We moved here in the summer of 2001. That fall, a kind lady in our congregation cut several suckers from her bushes and brought them to me after hearing me rave about how much I wanted to have lilacs in our yard. I planted them, knowing virtually nothing about gardening at that time.

Later I read that lilac suckers take four to five years to bloom. I was a little crestfallen, but I had already begun to learn that a lot of the gratification in gardening is deferred.

Last spring I allowed myself to hope, but the lilacs weren't yet ready. After this crazy winter (which lingers overlong), I didn't know what to expect. But I checked the bushes just now and was thrilled--so thrilled that what looks like a snake hole right near them didn't really faze me. (I'm sure it will later.)
This entry was posted on 3:50 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On 18/4/07 , Christie said...

Hurrah! How very exciting! This is my first season really putting in an effort to plant flowers, and I've been anxiously checking for blooms every day...I can't imagine waiting for five years to see them! Your patience is obviously paying off now...lovely lilacs. That's a great spring surprise.

 
On 18/4/07 , Anonymous said...

So cool! I love gardening! Of course there is no instant gratification, but it sure is exciting when something comes up! Oh, how I miss my garden in Spain...:(

 
On 19/4/07 , Anonymous said...

I found 2 little violas blooming in last year's annual bed this morning. I was impressed by their courage and reminded once again that spring really will come. Every year, I lose hope.

 
On 19/4/07 , Melissa said...

My perennials came up in the front yard a few weeks ago. I remember what they looked like last year, so I'm delighted they returned. Sadly, I can't remember what they are.