Author: Luisa Perkins
•9:09 PM
Police surround the body of Jdimytai Damour, the employee who was trampled to death by Wal-Mart shoppers in Long Island, NY on Friday morning.

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon,
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers,
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.
--William Wordsworth
This entry was posted on 9:09 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On 1/12/08 , Karen said...

I've only shopped on Black Friday once. It was the year we returned from Brazil. I went with a friend and felt like it was such an iconic, American thing to be doing. (I felt very out of the loop). I was so upset by what I saw and how my friend acted. I haven't gone since and I certainly never will again. I don't want to play that game.

 
On 1/12/08 , Heidi said...

I don't do Black Friday either. I just don't have the energy. It does seem like the embodiment of materialism. It is so sad about the man who was killed--so sad!

 
On 1/12/08 , Jen said...

This whole situation illustrates the absolute worst of our society.

 
On 2/12/08 , Goofball said...

It's insane how inhumane we humans can act? How is this possible?

 
On 2/12/08 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

This story made me feel physically ill, and Wordsworth (with your help) put it in words better than I could ever hope to.

 
On 3/12/08 , charrette said...

Yes, this sickened me.
I boycott Black Friday, as a rule. Try to avoid the mall and most stores altogether in December.
Wordsworth captured a universal truth here.