Author: Luisa Perkins
•9:03 AM

Before we get started: above is Christian in full lacrosse regalia. It's not that he's consciously trying to look grim and foreboding; his newly-braced teeth are just pretty achy still.

So, here's my problem. Blog geniuses like Jane Brocket can make each day and each season seem fresh, new, and gorgeous, despite the fact that they have been posting for several years.

I'm just not that good. (Don't argue with me; Jane got a fabulous multi-book contract purely on the strength of her blog. Me? No such offers are coming in. I rest my case.)

It's spring, but I blogged last year about seed starting and crocuses. You've seen most of my best recipes, and I haven't come up with much that's new and kitcheny lately. Last year I was writing; this year I'm writing. You've endured me rambling about great restaurants, great books, great music, and my great family. Last winter I knit hats, scarves, and socks; this winter I knit hats, scarves, and socks. Here are the latest:
This hat was made after Sarah Lilly's "Bloody Stupid Johnson" pattern from the Winter '08 issue of Knitty. It's for a certain Pratchett-loving, near-Arctic-Circle-living blogpal o' mine; my goal is to MAIL IT TO HER before winter has entirely left her region (don't worry, Kim; though Daniel is the model here, the hat fits my head perfectly, and thus should be just right for yours).

Cable enthusiasts, this is the hat for you; it was challenging, but great fun to make (see the pattern link for how the cables 'unravel' on the back part of the hat), and a nice little clinic on short rows, to boot.


Here's what's on the needles now: a scarf after Vyvyan Neel's Argosy in Knitty's Winter '06 edition. It's made with some Lorna's Laces sock yarn Mom sent me recently.

This pattern is a bear. I've started this scarf at least five times, and even now that I have the repetitions basically memorized, I still find myself doing a ton of tinking and frogging. But I think it will be worth it; once I finish it and block it, the cool square lace pattern will be much more apparent.

Anyway, today I'm feeling like there's not much going on in my life that's very blogworthy. I had thought that in my two weeks off, I'd come up with a bunch of exciting new post ideas; instead, I came up with a bunch of weird short story ideas that are fun, but aren't really shareable at the moment.

So, there it is. Life is good, but when reduced to a few lines on a screen, not so interesting. Anyone have a good meme out there?
This entry was posted on 9:03 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

18 comments:

On 27/3/08 , Bea said...

I've been feeling very BTDT with my blog lately - I have a nasty suspicion that I have actually uttered all of my thoughts, and now there's nothing left to say.

Consider yourself tagged for the six-word epitaph meme!

 
On 27/3/08 , Anonymous said...

Ohh! Knitting! I haven't done it in a while, so I think I've probably forgotten how to cast on, but your pretty hats (beanies?) have inspired me. Maybe I'll start back up soon.

 
On 27/3/08 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I'm catching up on my blog reading and suddenly I feel so loved I've gotten all sniffly. It's beautiful, Luisa! Simply stunning!

In other good news, it snowed here yesterday! Definitely not past hat season yet!

Thank you so, so much. I love you to bits!

 
On 27/3/08 , Goofball said...

Don't be so strict on yourself... do you think I didn't blog last year about Easter with my family? About the fact that the weather sucked? About being tired and busy at work? About a walk I had done?

Our lives are full of repetition and that's ok. And it's ok to blog about those repetitions too.
If you want too of course.

And since I didn't read your blog yet last year, I still find it all interesting! So you'd still have a reader :).

 
On 27/3/08 , Annette Lyon said...

I love seeing your knitting. And I can't remember a single post that I've yawned at. Your life is far more interesting than you think it is.

 
On 27/3/08 , Anonymous said...

Ughh, I know what you mean. But I have to say, that blue piece gave me a bit of a lift.

 
On 27/3/08 , Melessa Gregg said...

I did a really fun movie meme on my blog, but if you check it out you will see exactly how crass my teenaged taste in movies was.

And I'm always excited when google tells me there is something new to read here. (I'm also never disappointed by it.)

 
On 27/3/08 , Jenna said...

Well, you know it's bad when you beg for a meme!

You have great opinions about everything, Luisa. Climb on a soapbox about something...anything! Do a "Most Embarrassing" series like I did when I was stumped...or just some random memory lane type stories. We just love to hear anything at all about YOU.

 
On 27/3/08 , NH Knitting Mama said...

You may not think that this stuff is interesting, but I sure do! Look at all that awesome knitting!

Your kiddos are so handsome.

 
On 27/3/08 , Anonymous said...

I wasn't here last year reading. I think it is pretty much the same anywhere. Sometimes Sirdar (who has blogged longer than I), will find something in the paper and blog about it. I am not there yet as I have not written a whole years worth of posts. I don't have a meme as I don't generally do them.

 
On 27/3/08 , Karlene said...

You may feel like things are same old, same old, but I still like visiting and reading your posts.

My 17 yr old daughter plays lacrosse. She was on a team 3 towns away for a couple of years. Then this year she pretty much single-handedly started a girls lacrosse team at her high school. So far, they're 1 & 1 this year. Next game is tomorrow.

 
On 28/3/08 , Syar said...

The brooding look works. I like brooding. Please don't take this as me (a 20 year old) perving on your son, lol. I swear it's not, although he is undeniably handsome.

I have this blog issue every other day. Content and stable don't translate well, blog wise. It's unfortunate.

But keep on keeping it on! ;)

And that blue pattern looks so pretty, even incomplete like that. I wish I could knit.

 
On 28/3/08 , Unknown said...

Lacrosse!! Hey, I used to play that game at school many moons ago. Loved it. We didn't wear helmets though. Mind you, girls are less rough, right? Or at least they used to be :-)

 
On 28/3/08 , Jen said...

I think it's more that time of year - we just plain need SPRING.

 
On 28/3/08 , anjmae said...

You could move. That always brings interesting adventures and insights, even if some of us less creative types cannot convey these things...

I love that blue knitted thing.

 
On 31/3/08 , Heffalump said...

I think that I enjoy reading blogs of people that seem real more than I enjoy reading the ones that seem to always be on to another adventure. Real=good to me. I like to read about what you are really up to...

 
On 31/3/08 , Anonymous said...

Sorry....I don't do memes...or knit. Sometimes the blogging mind just becomes blank. Trust me...I can relate. Don't worry though...your blogging creativity will come back to you again soon.

 
On 1/4/08 , Julie Wright said...

I envy you and Annette and your handy dandy needle work. The noly fight i ever had with my grandmother was when she tried to teach me to knit. I regret both the fight, and my unteachable little hands.