Author: Luisa Perkins
•5:09 PM
1) All credit for the blog's new look goes to the über-gifted Kim of Temporary? Insanity. She's got a fun thing going with her Template Tweakings website; go check it out if you are feeling the need for a spring makeover. Thanks, hon! I love it. I'll figure out how to put my blogroll back on the sidebar eventually....

2) Christian got his braces on this week and played his first lacrosse games today. We had to get him some gear this week in preparation. His new cleats? Men's size 13, thank you very much. They look like Jaredite barges, I'm telling you.

Christian is loving lacrosse and looks very manly trotting around the field in all his armor while brandishing the 6-foot-long defensive stick. Ahh, my little boy. I'd better stop before I start crooning "Sunrise, Sunset."

3) All debate over the next presidential candidate should end now. Why? Because Tess has the perfect platform, set forth in a school assignment for Presidents' Day last month:

Here's the transcription, edited for spelling:

"If I were president I would help the poor people and I would give the poor food and I would give the poor children toys. And I would stop the war."

We're still working on spelling and punctuation, but note her correct use of the subjunctive. Now we just need to get an amendment passed changing the minimum age for a presidential candidate from 35 to 6.

4) I've been waiting for two years for iTunes to acquire Wire's 154. I checked today, and they finally had it! What a fantastic album; I'll have to do a "Music Monday" on it at some point.

5) The pregnancy is progressing miraculously well, I'm thrilled to report. Tomorrow marks the end of Week 28; by this time with both Tess and Daniel, I was on bed rest. Not so this time; I'm getting around with no pain, and while I'm tired, I've had enough brain function to write consistently and to make it to Day 81 (and counting) of the Read the Bible in 90 Days study program I started back on January 2nd.

6) I'm still racking up the rejections as I shop The Holly Place and ZF-360 around. In the meantime, I've been writing short stories and sending them out to various genre periodicals. This has been great fun! (The short story part, not the rejection-of-my-novels part; that part is really lame.) For anyone interested in writing sf/fantasy short stories, you simply must check out Ralan's fabulous website. It has been an invaluable resource for me.

I don't think I'll start another novel anytime soon; the short story groove is working well for me (for the first time in my whole life), and I don't want to commit to anything longer until after we settle into some sort of routine with the new baby. So, you know, that could be this time next year (or the year after), for all I can predict.

I guess that's it for now. I missed you all during my bloggy break; I think I'm back on board for the moment. Oh--and the post title? This is post #250 for me. Wow. Happy Easter!
This entry was posted on 5:09 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

18 comments:

On 22/3/08 , Anonymous said...

I just want to give Tess a huge round of applause for the proper sue of the subjunctive. People who say "If I was" really piss me off. :D

Congrats on staying off bed rest.

and it's good to have you back. :)

 
On 22/3/08 , Jen said...

It's lovely to see you again! Tess has my vote. ;-)

My C just got his braces off.

 
On 22/3/08 , Catherine said...

Fun template! Very cool!

I'm totally voting for Tess...

:)

 
On 22/3/08 , Brillig said...

Wow. It sure looks fancy in here! I was at the LDStorymakers Conference today and yesterday. Your name was brought up often, and always VERY lovingly. I was sitting in Annette's class when I got an email from you (on my handy dandy phone) and it made me wish you were there all the more.

And yay for short stories! You know how I LOVE your short stories...

And my word verification here is "tutletod." I really think you should name a character Tutletod. You can totally rock that.

 
On 22/3/08 , jon deal said...

Proper use of the subjunctive obviously shows good grooming, I think. :-]

 
On 22/3/08 , painted maypole said...

that's it. i'm writing Tess in on my ballot

 
On 23/3/08 , Heffalump said...

When are you due? You must be due pretty close to me because I will hit 29 weeks on Tuesday...
Tess for Pres!

 
On 23/3/08 , Bea said...

Oh, I'm jealous of the tweak! It's beautiful.

 
On 23/3/08 , Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back! I was wondering where you went. Happy to hear that all is right with things for you and your family.

 
On 23/3/08 , Anonymous said...

Great new look. Wonderful you are at 28 weeks and not having the trouble you did with Tess and Daniel.

Great you are enjoying doing the short stories.

Our son loves lacrosse too. He only plays in phys ed, so theoretically it isn't as violent. He isn't as big in stature as your son, so takes a good beating. He will still grow some.

Glad you are back.

 
On 23/3/08 , Annette Lyon said...

1) Glad you're back.
2) Love the new look.
3) Yea on the smooth pregnancy.
4) Also on the short stories.
5) Tess for President! (Correct subjunctive brings me joy . . .)

 
On 24/3/08 , Jenna said...

So glad you're back! There was a serious void in the blogosphere without you. And so glad life is humming smoothly over there. Now Christian AND Lyndsay will have nice teeth for their wedding photos.

 
On 24/3/08 , Elizabeth said...

I am happy to read your updates. I was beginning to wonder...

I am sorry about the rejection of the novels. Oh, that I were a publisher and could publish the books of my friends.

Congratulations on all other points!

 
On 24/3/08 , Julie Wright said...

I'm making signs now: Tess for President!

You know you have my absolute empathy in the rejection rack up, right? (did you just love the alliteration there?) I am raking them in myself. sooo frustrating. I love listening to Jessica Day George tell people about her 187 rejections and her fabulous publisher now. Really truly inspiring.

I'm glad things are going well on the pregnancy.

And I have to say that I loved meeting Brillig this weekend at the conference, and then have to admit the first thing out of my mouth was, "Is Luisa here too???" I was hoping.

 
On 25/3/08 , anjmae said...

Oh, hello again! Nice to read you again! My eyes tripped out a little when your spanky new blog popped up! Bright and clean!
What would you say is the major difference in your pregnancy? I am sooo happy you are not on bed rest, but what are you doing differently?
Wish me luck with our move--we leave Thursday.

 
On 25/3/08 , Anonymous said...

I like the new look. Looks very writerish to me :-)

Lacrosse...allegedly Canada's official sport. Must have been some politics in that decision.

Tess just needs a slogan and she is in!!

Glad to hear the pregnancy is going well. Glad I can't get pregnant.

Sorry to hear about the rejections. One day, someone will say yes. And then you will be more famous than you are now. Uh....You are famous....right? :-)

 
On 26/3/08 , Anonymous said...

I love the new look! So nice to have you back again and to hear that your pregnancy is going smoothly.

 
On 27/3/08 , Tristi Pinkston said...

That's the best platform I've heard yet!

And congrats on the pregnancy going well!