Author: Luisa Perkins
•9:59 AM

I saw my midwives on Monday; they're all great, but I lucked out and got my favorite, Helene, who attended Daniel's birth. Because my midwifery group is connected to a federally-funded public clinic, there were many tests to undergo and much paperwork to fill out. I came home with a sheaf of pamphlets; I browsed through them Monday evening. Patrick looked over at what I was doing and asked, "So, has anything changed since last time?"

That question got me thinking about how different an experience things are this time around, especially as compared with the first time. Here's some high contrast for you:

Then:
In 1993, I was 26 and pregnant with our first child, Christian.
Now:
I'm 41 and pregnant with our sixth. We haven't yet found out the baby's sex.

Then:
I went to the doctor immediately upon finding out I was pregnant--at barely 4 weeks.
Now:
I put off going to the midwives until after the holidays were well and truly over--at about 20 weeks.

Then:
I obsessively read any and all literature on pregnancy and childbirth, especially What to Expect When You're Expecting.
Now:
What to Expect is on my list of Ten Least Favorite Books Ever. When the nurse handed me my bundle of pamphlets the other day, she said, "Here. But you probably know all of this already."

Then:
I had considerable trouble gaining weight.
Now:
I am gaining weight with, um, grace and ease. (Seriously: I'm right on track; all is well.)

Then:
I couldn't wait for my pregnancy to show so that I could wear cute maternity clothes.
Now:
My pregnancy showed much earlier than I would have thought possible; most maternity clothes look too improbably twee to consider wearing at my age. So far, I'm mostly making do with my usual uniform.

Then:
I worked 60 hours per week at a high-profile investment bank in Manhattan.
Now:
I work 112+ hours per week at the best (but lowest-paying) job in the world.

Then:
I slept in until noon on Saturdays.
Now:
I sleep in until 7:00 a.m. on Saturdays.

Then:
I craved the following sandwich: scrambled eggs and cheese with butter, salt, and pepper on a soft roll. I had one nearly every day. I also craved white cheddar popcorn, Orangina, and mint chip ice cream.
Now:
I crave grapefruit juice, cold cereal, and juicy, medium-rare cheeseburgers.

Then:
I was terribly nauseated for months, then dealt with premature separation of the pelvis near the end.
Now:
No nausea at all. We'll see how it goes with the ol' pelvis, but so far, so good.

Then:
Patrick and I took a three-week trip to Paris, the Loire Valley, and Switzerland. Pure heaven.
Now:
We're planning a five-day, kid-free fling in London and Bath in April. Can't wait.

Then and now:
I have a super-mega-bionic sense of smell. Believe me, this is not a gift.
My talent for napping serves me well.
I'm thrilled beyond words to meet the new person who will be joining our family.
This entry was posted on 9:59 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

24 comments:

On 30/1/08 , Jen said...

Fascinating list! I loved this one:

Then:
I slept in until noon on Saturdays.
Now:
I sleep in until 7:00 a.m. on Saturdays.

I can relate...

 
On 30/1/08 , Jenna said...

Oh, this was a fun idea! I can relate to so much of it!

 
On 30/1/08 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I ate the same sandwich during my pregnancy with Becca...suffered with the seperated pelvis as well. Thanks for giving me hope it might not happen the next time around!

 
On 30/1/08 , Anonymous said...

What a great list. I bet there are a bunch of new fangled baby things out there too. I have a friend who has and 19 year old and her 9th is a year and a bit. (She started at 19, all single births). She said there are lots of things available now that weren't then. How exciting for you to be having another. I always wanted more, but Sirdar wanted 2. I could have kept going, but once the youngest was about 5 or 6, I started feeling I was past that stage, the longing ebbed and now I await grandkids (with patience, I might add). I am a bit older than you now, so it would be quite unhealthy for me to venture into that arena anyway.

 
On 30/1/08 , Madam Crunchypants said...

That was a fascinating list - I craved white cheddar popcorn while pregnant with Punkin! I thought I was the only person in the world with such an odd craving.

Congrats again on your impending bundle.

 
On 30/1/08 , Anonymous said...

Great list. I couldn't agree with you more about the What to Expect book. It drove me crazy when I was PG. It assumed at every little thing that happened a woman was incapable of dealing with and should go immediately to the doctor. Way to instill confidence.

As for the craving, lol. the only thing I ever wanted while PG was a margarita and sushi. I can't even tell you how much lemonade I drank in hopes of quenching that urge. lol


And in case I haven't said it yet, congrats! When is the baby due?

 
On 30/1/08 , painted maypole said...

fun how things change... and how they don't :)

 
On 30/1/08 , Dedee said...

I could do a whole post on this. And I only have four kids. They were all so different.

 
On 30/1/08 , Lauren said...

Mom: Cute! I had that super-mega-bionic sense of smell too when I was pregnant.
Me: Super-mega-bionic sense of smell? That sounds...actually pretty awesome. It sounds like a super power. *Smelly Girl!!! To the Rescue!*

The things that amaze me...

I've posted again. You'll enjoy this one. :P

 
On 30/1/08 , Christine said...

Oh.. that sense of smell...
THAT is why we can NOT cook ground turkey at our house! EVER again!
I'm getting queasy just thinking about it.

 
On 30/1/08 , Goofball said...

haha, fun list to read

 
On 30/1/08 , Melessa Gregg said...

Congratuations! And I too have had the pelvic separation so I will pray yours does not make a return.
I am very excited for you and your family!

Melessa

 
On 30/1/08 , Mary said...

I love this post. Very interesting. The picture kind of freaks me out. But I'll stare at it for awhile, and then I'll be over it

 
On 30/1/08 , Mary said...

Okay. Finished staring. Wow. That's a lot of babies. That ward nursery is going to be VERY full.

 
On 30/1/08 , Bill C said...

Now I want a scrambled egg and cheese sandwich.

 
On 31/1/08 , Life ticks on said...

I got some laughs from this post. I know what you mean. My first though the only thing I wanted (or could eat that wouldnt make me sick!) was rice or potatoes. Anyway you could make it didnt matter. Every smell and every food made me violently ill for 16 wks when they said I had a UTI!

 
On 31/1/08 , Noodle said...

Congratulations! I hated the "What to Expect" book too, even during my first pg. :)

 
On 31/1/08 , Anonymous said...

Lemme tell you something. You. Look. Maaahvelous. You did then. Better than ever now.

 
On 31/1/08 , anjmae said...

Sorry, sis, what does 'twee' mean??
When I was expecting Noah, I ate cases and cases of oranges. I also had to have the spiciest Indian food I could get my hands on, as often as possible for the last two months. D gained plenty weight that time around...
Oooh, now I want that Indian food...

 
On 1/2/08 , Annette Lyon said...

LOVE this! What a great look back. OUCH on the pelvis thing. Yay and not having nausea this time around--especially with the super smell. (Been there, and with nausea, that's beyond nasty, isn't it?)

Glad things are going so well.

 
On 1/2/08 , Julie Q. said...

Congratulations (sorry I'm late hearing the news). I was surprised at the differeneces I felt between my earlier pregnancies and my last. I thought I could chalk them up to the whole "Advanced Maternal Age" thing, but then it turned out I was just having a girl after all those boys. Now I have no idea what to think.

 
On 2/2/08 , Anonymous said...

I must have missed the memo that you were pregnant :-O

We felt the same way. There was so much we didn't know about kids. Then, when the fourth came, it was a breeze because we knew what to expect. I guess it is just experience now..and you are experienced!! Hmmm....Sounds like something Jimmy would say...

 
On 3/2/08 , Heffalump said...

I have been craving red meat, which I usually eat only rarely, and spicy foods.
Usually I can't abide things like kimchee when I am pregnant, but this time around (after the morning sickness toned down of course) I crave the spicy foods.
You must be due somewhat near me. I am about 22 weeks now. You must be due a week or three ahead of me.

 
On 4/2/08 , Syar said...

Oh congratulations! You're pregnant! For a 19 year old, this is very new territory. I'm way more excited, haha. Glad it's all smooth going.