Author: Luisa Perkins
•9:52 PM
Dawn did a fun meme on her blog the other day; I couldn't wait for a chance to do it myself. It seemed like a great choice for Music Monday, and it goes like this:

Go to……

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random The first article title on the page is the name of your band.

2. http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php33 The last four words of the very last quote is the title of your album.

3. http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days The third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

4. Use your graphics program of choice to throw them together, and post the result as a comment in this post.

(Don’t forget to follow the Terms of Use at Flickr and provide a link back to the page at Flickr.)

I've sung in bands before, but we never made any recordings (except for when someone's brother videotaped us with his Betamax camera; I'd give my eye-teeth to get a hold of one of those tapes). So coming up with a band name and album cover was a fun exercise in fantasy, and the result, after a little manipulation using Microsoft Publisher, is above.

My random Wikipedia article was on Rocket Science Games, and the full quote that came up on the random search is attributed to St. Augustine: "Oh, Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet." Apt, apt; so very apt. The gorgeous photo is Občas modré nebo, by mariannakoutna.

Of course, my fantasy doesn't end with just the outside of the album; I like to imagine what my band would record if given the chance. I've always wanted to sing in a band that played a mixture of Celtic, bluegrass, zydeco, and folk-rock; years ago when I mentioned this to anyone, they looked at me like I was nuts.

But now there are bands I love that make similarly blissful fusions: Nickel Creek, Donna the Buffalo, and the Duhks, to name a few. The Chieftains love to hook up with roots-type people from all kinds of traditions and come out with greatness. And if Alison Krauss and Robert Plant can mix up some cross-genre magic, why not Rocket Science Games, too?

For more Music Monday fun, visit Soccer Mom in Denial. And if any of you make your own album using the above meme, be sure to let me know!
This entry was posted on 9:52 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

20 comments:

On 20/1/08 , Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a great album cover. I didn't know how to put the words in the photo when I was doing it. You did an awesome design and so apt as you say with the quote, the band name and the photo. Love it.

 
On 20/1/08 , painted maypole said...

i don't know how to post the picture, but my fabulous new band, Gioachino Greco (made up of 7 individuals beating out different rhythms on chess boards, FYI), is putting out it's first album, titled "It's very character-building"

 
On 20/1/08 , soccer mom in denial said...

Great minds think alike. I found that on Jami's site and was thinking of doing it for a Music Monday.

It is really fun.

 
On 21/1/08 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

That looks so fabulous!

I am still hugely greatful for being introduced to the Wailin' Jennys! I must pick your brain for more marvelous music soonly!

 
On 21/1/08 , PEZmama said...

"Seneca Pumped Storage Generating Station" doesn't really roll off the tongue like you'd want for a band name.

Hmmm.

 
On 21/1/08 , Anonymous said...

Ok, not sure how to put a picture in the comment, but my smashing new band, Rogers Avenue, will be releasing it's debut album, "It's a Primal Calling" this year.

Album cover art can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days

THanks Luisa. That was fun. :)

 
On 21/1/08 , Korie said...

Oooh, as soon as I dig myself out of the mound of blogs that piled up in my reader this weekend, I'm gonna try that out!

 
On 21/1/08 , Jen said...

I love your cover! I need to try that meme some time. BTW... I don't know if you read bleeding espresso, but she and a couple of her other Italian blogger friends are doing this World Nutella Day celebration/contest - I think you'd have a blast with it!

 
On 21/1/08 , Dedee said...

So my band name is Thayeria boehlkei--sadly, I don't even know how to say the name of my own band.

The album title? Improbable must be truth (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

My pic is hilarious. I wish you could see it. I'm going to try and post it.

Have a loverly day!

 
On 21/1/08 , Julie Wright said...

love your album! Do you still know any of those people you could get a hold of those videos? I bet someone still has them. :)

 
On 21/1/08 , Dedee said...

I just posted the finished product, but my original pic wouldn't work. I had to randomly get a new one. I like the new one better anyway.

 
On 21/1/08 , Jenna said...

Very cool idea! If you ever made an album with music like that, you know I'd be your biggest fan!

 
On 21/1/08 , Jenn in Holland said...

This is an absolutely fabulous memey thingy!
Can I join your band? I would so love to be in on the fusion of zydeco and folk rock...

 
On 21/1/08 , Annette Lyon said...

Cool idea! Love the album name in particular.

 
On 21/1/08 , Sandra Evertson said...

Beautiful blog!
Sandra Evertson

 
On 21/1/08 , Anonymous said...

You did a great job. Funny how things just go together. I bet your band would be wonderful to hear. You know...you could sing a few notes and post them. They have upgraded from Betamax to HD recorders now :-)

 
On 21/1/08 , Brillig said...

Okay, so my band name is Optatus (which is Latin for "Chosen"), my album is called "Delay One Even Longer" and the album cover is a really funky photo of a pelican. It's gonna be huge, people. I'm pre-selling the album on iTunes right now...

Fun game.

 
On 22/1/08 , anjmae said...

My band is called RAGHUPATI BHAT (who is a member of the legislative assembly of the sate of Karnataka, a state of India) and my album's name is Everything Else is Secondary (the end of a quote by Steve Jobs). My album cover is the picture of a frozen flower taken on its drooping stem. Quite lovely, I might add...
anyway, fun to do!

 
On 22/1/08 , Anonymous said...

Hey, I would buy it. I have to admit I'm a bit tempted by this meme...

 
On 22/1/08 , Luisa Perkins said...

Pez, it's clear after reading your random title that I got very lucky.

Jenn, you are totally in the band.

Kim, anytime!

Dedee, for some reason, I can't get to your site. It's making me a little nutty.

To all of you new rockers: if I could, I'd buy every single one of those albums. They all sound great.