Author: Luisa Perkins
•6:00 AM
The Star of Bethlehem, Sir Edward Burne-Jones (1833-1898)

That Holy Thing

They all were looking for a king
To slay their foes and lift them high:
Thou cam'st, a little baby thing
That made a woman cry.

O Son of Man, to right my lot
Naught but Thy presence can avail;
Yet on the road Thy wheels are not,
Nor on the sea Thy sail!

My how or when Thou wilt not heed,
But come down thine own secret stair,
That Thou mayst answer all my need--
Yea, every bygone prayer.

--George MacDonald (1824-1905)
This entry was posted on 6:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On 19/12/08 , Annette Lyon said...

Beautiful.

 
On 19/12/08 , Jen said...

Oh, this poem SO reminds me of the type of poems my maternal grandmother seemed always to have at hand. It brings back such lovely memories!

 
On 19/12/08 , Anonymous said...

What appropriate poetry and inspiring art work! Not only are you a creative writer, but you're creative in you selection of other creators.

I've enjoyed George MacDonald since friends introduced me to the Princess books almost 40 years ago. I just re-read "The Golden Key" last month. I also enjoy the fact that he inspired C.S. Lewis, Tolkein, and Lovecraft.

 
On 20/12/08 , Heidi said...

George MacDonald? He must be Scottish. Oh, those Scots! Gotta love 'em (sorry I'm late to the party--yesterday was just a dreadful day)