Author: Luisa Perkins
•6:00 AM
The Dream of St. Joseph, Georges de La Tour (1593-1652)

The Temptation of Saint Joseph

Joseph:
All I ask is one
Important and elegant proof
That what my Love had done
Was really at your will
And that your will is Love.
Gabriel:
No, you must believe;
Be silent, and sit still.

--W.H. Auden (1907-1973)
This entry was posted on 6:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On 7/12/08 , Annette Lyon said...

Beautiful poem. But Joseph in the painting is so OLD!

 
On 7/12/08 , Heidi said...

Like Annette, I prefer to think of Joseph as a hotty (you didn't say that A, but I know how you think);) Another poem I have never heard--just loved it! And I love the light on the angels face. I am grateful that you are doing this, Luisa.

 
On 7/12/08 , SydneyMin said...

I enjoyed this one. The poem is thought provoking and the light in the painting is beautiful.

 
On 7/12/08 , Jen said...

Two of my all-time favorites: De la Tour and Auden. Thanks for bringing some calm into my Sunday (and shouldn't that be an oxymoron?)

 
On 7/12/08 , Jenna said...

Maybe Joseph is old because it's much later in his life and he's just always wondered and wanted confirmation, even after all those years?

I love this poem, which again, I've never read before. Really hit me.

 
On 11/12/08 , charrette said...

Beautiful -- Even Joseph wasn't allowed to seek a sign. (Although there were a whole lot of angels traipsing about!)

Be silent, sit still and believe...is good advice for us all.

 
On 22/12/08 , Goofball said...

Lovely, so lovely, both the painting as the poem