Author: Luisa Perkins
•8:26 AM
Eleven months ago, I celebrated the fact that our family had finished reading the Old Testament aloud together in this post. This morning, we read Revelation Chapter 22, completing our reading of the New Testament.

This year, because of Christian's high school schedule, we have less family scripture time in the mornings than we did last year: only 10-15 minutes most days. But a little bit, done consistently, goes a long way. As Zechariah says, "For who hath despised the day of small things? For they shall rejoice..." (Zech. 4:10)

I treasure our morning time. The family sits at our kitchen table bathed in the soft lamplight; Patrick, the older three kids, and I take turns reading verses, while Daniel and Tess look on in their picture Bibles. Hope's reading has improved most dramatically in the past two years since we started Genesis, but all the kids read with more expression and facility, making the beautiful passages come alive for the whole group. Jacobean English isn't easy for modern tongues and ears, but it has become much more natural for all the children since we began our journey.

I hope, however, that our scripture reading has been more than a daily elocution lesson; I hope the words are sinking deep into the hearts of my children, giving them daily sustenance and equipping them with divine tools to handle life's many challenges.

I can't read the last few verses of Revelation without thinking of the following piece of music. I've been lucky enough to sing it a few times; it's gorgeous.



This entry was posted on 8:26 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

13 comments:

On 7/2/08 , Annette Lyon said...

That IS beautiful.

And way to go finishing the entire Bible. What a feat.

 
On 7/2/08 , Unknown said...

What lovely music. Thanks, Luisa. Didn't know you were also a singer. Must be pretty good to sing like this.

Nice work re the scripture reading. I just posted about a great discovery in Bulgaria--gold plates similar in construction to those Joseph Smith found, from which the Book of Mormon was translated. I love finding things like that.

 
On 7/2/08 , Brillig said...

Wow!!! Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment for your family! And I'm certain that your whole family has been blessed immeasurably by the dedication and effort that that requires. It's so exciting!

So, what's next? Genesis? 1st Nephi? Moses? Because, knowing you (and reading this) I doubt that the last verse of Revelation is the end for your family. :-D

 
On 7/2/08 , Jen said...

Congratulations to you and your family. Taking time to enjoy spirituality and education together is simply wonderful. I'm sure they'll treasure this accomplishment as they get older.

Gorgeous painting and music, too.

 
On 7/2/08 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What a lovely, inspiring post. Emma came and read it over my shoulder and said the following, "Look! He inna clouds! It's Jesus! He's my friend!"

Thanks for bringing such a joyful moment into my day.

 
On 7/2/08 , Dedee said...

Congratulations! We are slowly plodding through the Book of Mormon right now. Hopefully we will be able to do the Bible some day.

Thanks for letting me listen to Cundick. I love that song.

 
On 8/2/08 , Anonymous said...

I've just recently stumbled upon your blog and I am inspired for so many reasons. What a beautiful family you have. I love your words, your ideas, your methods of child rearing (family rearing). [I must look up the word rear now]. I look forward to reading back...
God Bless you and thank you.
Lisa

 
On 8/2/08 , Luisa Perkins said...

Thank you, Lisa, and thanks for coming by! Please stop by anytime.

 
On 8/2/08 , Anonymous said...

That is quite the accomplishment. Hope you find it fulfilling in the end.

 
On 8/2/08 , Jenna said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment. We're still trudging through the Old Testament, but you give us hope!

 
On 9/2/08 , Bill C said...

Fantastic! :-D

 
On 9/2/08 , Millie said...

I'm mad at David Letterman.

 
On 11/2/08 , Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a fine finish. Now you will have to start again in a couple of years for the younger ones to read through as well.