Author: Luisa Perkins
•9:30 AM
I'm sure you'll remember in the movie Elf, when Buddy says, "Santa's coming! Oh, my gosh--Santa! I know him! I know him!"

Yeah--that was pretty much my reaction this morning as I watched the video that follows this post. Patrick and I were there at the world premiere of the opera (on my birthday in 2005), so it was both a thrill and a fond reminiscence to watch it again.

It's a short scene from a gorgeous opera called The Book of Gold. I know the composer (Murray Boren) and the librettist (Glen Nelson); I know the soprano singing the role of Emma Smith (Metropolitan Opera star Jennifer Welch Babidge) and the baritone singing the role of Joseph Smith (her real-life husband, Darrell Babidge). Oh, the stories I could tell you about these four. They are all astonishingly talented people, and I feel blessed to call them friends.

If you have a spare 6.5 minutes, watch the video; I can almost guarantee it will give you chills.
This entry was posted on 9:30 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On 18/12/07 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Wow. So powerful. And how much more meaningful it must be to you!

 
On 18/12/07 , Jenna said...

Oh, it made me cry!

 
On 18/12/07 , Anonymous said...

To quote C.F. "That was awesome."

 
On 18/12/07 , piper said...

Wow! wow!

That's my favorite part of the movie Elf too, so picturing you dancing like that makes me laugh too ;)

I miss you so much. I hope you are feeling fabulous! If not, let me remind you...you are FABULOUS!

~xo

 
On 18/12/07 , Annette Lyon said...

How neat that you know them! I had no idea this opera existed (but then, I know next to nothing about opera at all--although I once dated a guy who is now an opera star. Does that make me cool, even though he was a jerk?).

I know several people in LDS films, so watching them with others is probably annoying when I'm constantly jumping up and saying things like, "Look! She's the one who pulled my hair/wig when I was Rapunzel and she was the Baker's Wife! She's so cool in real life!"

 
On 20/12/07 , Lauren said...

I love, love, love Emma's voice. It's beautiful. And, you know her? Wow.

 
On 22/12/07 , Anonymous said...

Well, I shouldn't be so systematic. Had I read this and the comments before watching the video, I would have had a better understanding of what was going on. I kind of thought he was playing that Joseph Smith, but wasn't sure if it was a coincidence. Anyway, now that I know you know the people, and all is more clear, I am more impressed. Not in a weird, vicariously living through you way, though, in case that is what you thought;-); it is just more interesting.