Author: Luisa Perkins
•5:14 PM
On my recent trip Out West, I entered a fabulous little independent bookstore in Spanish Fork, Utah armed with recommendations from a trusted friend. I've been making my way through the resulting pile o' books ever since. (It's a hard life I have, I tell you.) What have I learned? 1) The quality of fiction produced by people of my faith has increased dramatically in the past 15 years. 2) I really can trust this friend; she has unerring taste.

One book in the pile I have not yet read is A Door in the Woods, by James Dashner. It looks terrific; I'm just not there yet. Coincidentally, Mr. Dashner has started his own blog; I happened upon it today. At first glance, I was thrilled; it appeared as though his site's wallpaper were a photograph of some loosely spun alpaca yarn in various earthtoned colorways. Could it be that this new fantasy author is also a knitter devoted enough to his craft to adorn his blog with a photo of soft and lovely yarn from the Andes?

At second glance, I calmed down a bit. No, it's actually an (admittedly cool) image of one of his book covers. I just have knitting on the brain, since the fall issue of Knitty came out today. Yarn or no, I'm looking forward to getting to know Mr. Dashner a bit better. You should, too.
This entry was posted on 5:14 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 comments:

On 13/9/07 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

He's quite a card, isn't he?

 
On 13/9/07 , Jenna said...

Would love to hear your recommended LDS fiction list...I've avoided much of it for years too....I do want to read our new friends here though for starters.

 
On 13/9/07 , Anonymous said...

Knitting? Do you use Sirdar Wool/Yarn?

 
On 14/9/07 , Unknown said...

Hey, Luisa--you and Christian won prizes in my "Spotlight the Youth" contest. What a fun thing that was. And what a super son you have. So please respond to my email asap and the gifts will be on their way :-)

 
On 14/9/07 , Luisa Perkins said...

Jenna, I'll email a list of titles to you.

Sirdar, that brand is one of my favorites, which is one of the reasons you and Dawn caught my eye in the first place.

Anne, we're so excited! Thanks!

 
On 14/9/07 , Anonymous said...

Does Dashner drive a Subaru also?

 
On 14/9/07 , Annette Lyon said...

Only a knitter would see yarn in places it isn't! Glad you're enjoying your stack of books. Sounds like fun.

 
On 14/9/07 , Jen said...

I'll check it out when I finish my blog catching up ;-)

 
On 14/9/07 , Anonymous said...

I am going over to give his blog a look. I like the cover of the book you showed on here.

 
On 16/9/07 , Catherine said...

I would totally blog for books. :)

And don't forget Orson Scott Card and "Ender's Game!" What a Fantastic Story!