Author: Luisa Perkins
•8:33 AM

"Oh, no," some of you are thinking. "I've heard those words before. I know what they mean." And you're partly right.

I've just gotten back from a ten-day trip Out West. I'm still re-adjusting to Eastern Daylight Time, not eating in restaurants at least once per day, and being a mom to more than one child. As I do so, I'm mulling over all I learned.

David Farland's Professional Writers' Workshop was worth every penny and minute invested. Dave is a guru, coach, talespinner, and incisive yet kind critic. I acquired much information that will improve both the quality of my storytelling and the quantity of my output. I got to know a group of writers whose skill sets, needs, and goals are very similar to mine, and I look forward to extensive interaction with them in the future. I left Saint George burning to closet myself and write, write, write. But of course, things are more complicated than that.

The garden needs to be planted (and weeded, oh yes, my precious). Baseball and lacrosse seasons are in full swing. We have concerts and recitals and birthdays, oh my! In other words, my real life is full and runneth over. How to fit in a bit more fiction writing time?

It's time for another round of streamlining of my daily schedule. Clearly I can't cut back on kid time or Patrick time or scriptures or exercise. The calling and the yard won't tolerate much skimping, either.

That leaves you, dear blogosphere. Both my reading and my posting have been erratic since Anne was born, so you've already gotten used to much less of my time and attention. I won't be gone forever, but don't expect a whole lot in the near future. This will be easier for you than it will be for me, I'm sure. I'm betting you won't even really notice.
This entry was posted on 8:33 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

15 comments:

On 28/4/09 , Annette Lyon said...

Oh, we'll notice. But we'll also understand. :)

 
On 28/4/09 , Christine said...

Your absence will be noticed! But yes, we understand! -- I make one request;please don't delete the blog entirely. I don't know about anyone else but I use several of your posts as references and look them up as needed.

 
On 28/4/09 , Anonymous said...

We'll totally understand, and we'll definitely notice. Life comes first, and there is no reason why a blog should take precedence, especially with a wonderful family like yours! Good luck with everything, and if you decide to update again, we'll be here :)

 
On 28/4/09 , Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I only hope I can follow your example. Maybe then I won't miss you quite so desperately?

Nah.

 
On 28/4/09 , Bill C said...

has NOTICED! (panic)

 
On 28/4/09 , Brillig said...

Oh yeah. Totally. We won't notice. Not one bit.

Pshaw.

That's right. I said "pshaw" and I'll say it again.

Pshaw!

Missing you already...

 
On 28/4/09 , Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm a new follower! You can't abandon me just yet!

Seriously, I'm with everyone here when I say that I understand. Take care of you but when you can come back and visit, we'll be waiting!

 
On 29/4/09 , charrette said...

So glad you had that inspiring time to devote to your writing. And you will be missed more than you know. Because your posts -- and even your comments -- carry a certain weight and authority you're probably not even aware of. It's just part of who you are. But I'm glad you have your priorities straight. And I wish I could come live with you for a week just to see how you manage to do it all! xo

 
On 29/4/09 , Julie Wright said...

Go write! I am so glad I got to meet you and you are right, Dave is great!

 
On 29/4/09 , 2manyboyz said...

I'm still reeling from your Plurk abandonment and now I stumble upon this news?!

I won't pile on the guilt. I'll just quietly pass you my therapy bills...

Happy writing, Luisa. We will all notice, miss and understand your absence.

 
On 29/4/09 , Heidi said...

I so wish I had gotten to Utah sooner and had a chance to meet you!

 
On 1/5/09 , Goofball said...

oh we will notice! and we will miss you!

but I hope you get to have some splending family time combined with excellent refreshing writing time!

 
On 1/5/09 , Anonymous said...

NOT miss you I jsut read the same post the second day in a row. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

 
On 3/5/09 , Jenna said...

I'll notice for sure. But I'll comfort myself with the knowledge that soon enough there will be much more of YOU to read in all sorts of interesting forms! Good luck!

 
On 6/5/09 , King said...

I hope your blog doesn't break down and cry like the last girl I used that line on. If it does, be strong and get any stuff you loaned it right away, before it has chance to throw everything (including your laptop)into your swimming pool.

Hell hath no furry like blog scorned.