Author: Luisa Perkins
•9:38 PM
For my 'Best of 2006' list, click here.
For my 'Best of 2007' list, click here.

Life just keeps getting better, though this year was more about quality than quantity. I didn't read nearly as many books, see as many movies, or eat at as many fabulous restaurants in 2008 as I did in previous years. I bought very little new music and saw almost no live theater. I didn't leave the the East Coast--let alone the country--except for two funerals. Despite all that, I count last year as the richest and fullest of my life.

Top Five Eating Experiences
1) Thomas Henkelman, Greenwich, CT
2) Petrossian, New York, NY
3) Grifone, New York, NY
4) Ocean House, Croton-on-Hudson, NY
5) Café Gray, New York, NY

Top Five Movies Seen
1) Wall*E
2) Quantum of Solace
3) Iron Man
4) The Dark Knight
5) Kung Fu Panda

Top Ten Books Read
1) The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
2) Ex Libris, by Anne Fadiman
3) The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett
4) Stranger Things Happen, by Kelly Link
5) Duma Key, by Stephen King
6) In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, by Michael Pollan
7) Zoe's Tale, by John Scalzi
8) Coraline, by Neil Gaiman
9) Making Money, by Terry Pratchett
10) Last Year's Apocalypse, by Douglas Lain

Top Five Aesthetic Inspirations
1) diana:muse
2) amybutlerdesign.com
3) whatever.com
4) wondermark.com
5) madelinetosh.com

Best Birthday Present
Barack Obama being elected the 44th President of the United States

Greatest Accomplishments

1) Producing the utterly delicious Anne Catherine Perkins, born 13 May
2) Reading through The Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price by June 30th.
3) Running yet another rewarding (if streamlined) edition of Perkins Summer School
4) Successfully completing a two-year service mission leading the local women's group of my church's 12-step Addiction Recovery Program
5) Writing my cookbook Comfortably Yum, available in mere days(!) through Lulu.com
6) Querying agents and publishing houses regarding two of my novels
7) Surviving rejection and/or non-response from all parties queried
8) Writing my first-since-high-school short stories and submitting them for publication
9) Having my short story "Dodmen and the Holophusikon" produced as a podcast
10) Outdoing Patrick for the first time ever in our Christmas gift exchange
11) Putting up three fantastic batches of jam: pear, red raspberry, and peach-white raspberry
12) Creating my online Advent Calendar

Thanks to all my readers: both family and friends, lurkers and commenters. You were one of the main reasons 2008 was so fantastic. Happy New Year! Let's make sure 2009 continues the upward trend.
This entry was posted on 9:38 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 comments:

On 2/1/09 , Annette Lyon said...

Totally stole your idea w/out giving you credit. Great list!

Little Anne of course tops it.

Looking forward to the cookbook! I love food, but I'm pretty sad in the kitchen. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two.

 
On 3/1/09 , Josi said...

wow--you really did have a heck of year, didn't ya? I can't wait for the cookbook!

 
On 3/1/09 , charrette said...

Utterly delicious indeed! Love that!

Can't wait for the cookbook.

And do you think that 12-step program could do anything for my SUGAR addiction?

Last but not least, the online advent calendar was such a gift. Enormous thanks.

 
On 3/1/09 , Julie Wright said...

I love that Anne shares my birthday. It makes me feel important :) You did have a great year and I'll have to try those restaurants next time I'm back east. I hope this year is just as rewarding.

 
On 3/1/09 , Heidi said...

I am so impressed with your list, not least of all, your little Anne. In fact, I am so impressed, the idea of you reading Miss D makes me shake in my boots.

 
On 4/1/09 , Anonymous said...

peach-white raspberry jam? another reason to wish i lived next door to you...

 
On 5/1/09 , Jenna said...

Love the list! I look forward to it every year.

 
On 17/1/09 , Anonymous said...

I love your year in review. Your Anne is adorable.

I loved Kung Fu Panda.